Monday, September 11, 2006

DragonCon 2006: Friday

Now, Dear readers, I recount my first real day at DragonCon.

I hit the ground running on Friday and made my way to the Mythbusters Panel...which...was...cancelled. Poo.
Then after two quick photos, my workhorse of a camera (a 6 year old HP618) decides not to turn on again for the rest of the weekend. I bought a suitably sized memory card for this occasion and I get two convention photos. Double Poo.

Anthony Daniels at DragonCon
Anthony Daniels,
originally uploaded by Eloketh.

So off to "Illustrating in the Star Wars Universe" backed with "C3PO: Anthony Daniels." Both were great! We got to see some never-before-seen art from Lego Star Wars II, and got some insight into the Episode III art development process. The process can be summed up in with the understanding that Lucas changes his mind constantly with little regard to the deadline. Anthony was a hoot, and a clear showman.



2006-09-01-0044
2006-09-01-0044,
originally uploaded by Varjohaltia.

No time to linger, off to "An hour with Ellen Muth." The charming young star of "Dead Like Me" was beautiful and witty. We learned that Dead Like Me was cancelled on the whim of the new Showtime president.

I note that none of these panels seemed to have an official moderator or person to make introductions. Con-version had moderators and introductions for its guests. I'm just saying.

Back to the room to help veritate into her Soup Faerie costume, then off to the "Writing and Fighting" panel with John Clements. His work with ARMA became essential reading for our lightsaber class, so it was interesting to get a better understanding of his view on sword combat. No time to linger after, because I was off to the costume contest where we met up with iRob and iJenn to cheer on Laughing Magpie and the Londo Mollari clan. Laughing Magpie won a major workmanship for the Londo Costume so, w00ts all around.

If all of this sounds wizzbang, it was. But wait, there's more!

colonialday 032
colonialday 032,
originally uploaded by elmofromok.
After all this we went to the Battlestar Galactica Colonial Day Party where we danced and drank with Helo (Tahmoh Penikett) , Chief Galen Tyrol (Aaron Douglas) and Gaius Baltar (James Callis). More costume awards for Londo and Calgary's vintage Viper pilot.

I think we turned in after the party.

For those keeping score at home, that's 4 panels attended on the first day. I think it may be a group record.

Technorati Tags:
, , , ,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

FOUR!?! You got to FOUR panels!! You're a machine.

I'm so glad you got to the Clements panel. I've been meaning to ask and I want to know all about it.