Monday, February 12, 2007

Jedi Chefs change my worldview

When I woke up this morning, I thought I had it all together. I thought I knew how things worked. The sky is blue, the atomic weight of Argon was 39.94, the Ocean was salty, and the Sun was wicked hot. Now I'm not so sure.

My world has been turned turvy-topsy by my discovery of "Jedi Chefs." This costuming sect based on equal parts Star Wars and the food network, attend sci-fi/fantasy/comic conventions to "do the same sorts of things that normal Jedi do, but...also cook." They sport comic floppy chef hats and lightsabers, and encourage the attending celebrities to do the same.

Here is Nathan Fillion dressed as a Jedi Chef. This image makes the parts of my brain that govern fandom twitch and smoke trying to resolve the joyful dissonance.

But he is not alone in a culinary conversion, as plenty of celebrities have been inducted into the ranks. They have gotten to most of the cast of Firefly, including Summer Glau, but also Armin Shimmerman from Star Trek and Colin Baker, the sixth Doctor Who.

See http://www.jedichefs.com/celebrities.html for the full list.

I think it is funny, as I think they are poking gentle fun at people who take costuming and Star Wars too seriously. Does someone have a better explanation?

No comments: