Thursday, May 10, 2007

Top 5 nighstand books

Part Rorschach's inks, part turn-your-head-and-cough, the books on my nightstand serve as a measurement of my mood, temperament and state of mind.

First up:

Someone Comes to Town, Someone Leaves Town -Cory Doctorow. Honourable Mention
I just finished it and I really enjoyed it. I'm not sure which one of his to read next. The new "Overclocked" or the classic "Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom" ? Tough call. This book only gets an honourable mention because it is on its way off the table to make room for...

Snow Crash - Neal Stephenson.
I just started it and am liking it so far. I always had high hopes the Cyberpunk genre, but thought William Gibson was over rated. So far Snow Crash is living up to my expectations.

The Wandering Stars #2 - The Davidge Cousins
Written by James and illustrated by Jesse Davidge, The Wandering Stars tells of the supernatural adventures of a crack team of histories best mathematicians. Alan Turning, Georg Cantor, Maria Agnesi, Brahmagupta et all, have gathered to fight threats to the many dimensions folded and layered within time and space. What is not to love?

The Velocity of Honey - Jay Ingram
An informative everyday science book which answers some everyday questions regarding topics as diverse as Honey, mosquitoes, or the aerodynamics of Maple tree seeds. It really is the best kind of guide to being the most annoying guy at a party.

The Areas of my Expertise - John Hodgman
Complete world knowledge, volume 1. Matters historical, matters literary, matters cryptozoological and Hobo matters are all here. Also a great guide to being the most annoying guy at a party.

Wired Magazine (Hodgeman Cover) - Feb 2007
My love of John Hodgeman (I'm a PC) led me to get the issue of Wired with his interview. I used to love wired when the typography and graphic design was crazy and the main thrust of the publication was a love of tech, and tech culture. Then it went through this phase where it seemed more focused on which tech companies you should invest in. It now has gained a bit of a pop-culture slant to it, so I'm starting to read it again.

Previously on Slashboing
Books on my Nightstand (May 2006)

No comments: